As a business so closely associated with the environment, we are very aware of our environmental impact and obligations.
We recognise that the abstraction, treatment and delivery of drinking water can have an impact on the environment.
We appreciate that the energy used to carry out these processes has implications for carbon levels and pollution, and we understand that the scale of our operations brings with it a scale of responsibility in how we manage our workforce and operational activities.
For us environmental sustainability spans not only the practice of meeting environmental standards but also the drive to find new ways of working that deliver better environmental outcomes. Planning for the future is part of our day to day activities.
Our environmental achievements include:
- Upstream Thinking - our pioneering whole-catchment approach to improving raw water quality
- Managing all of our sites and landholdings for conservation. This includes working to enhance biodiversity and carrying out plans to improve the habitat for wildlife
- Control and management of Invasive non-native species.
- Increasing our renewable energy sources
- Investing in new technologies to reduce chemicals and energy in our processes
- Working with the South West Lakes Trust for wildlife conservation, recreation and access to Longham Lakes and Christchurch area.