Bournemouth Water Logo

Having trouble paying?


Let us know

Please contact us as soon as possible on 01202 590059 if you are finding it difficult to pay your bill. We answer calls in person from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday.

There are many ways we can help, whether you need a manageable payment plan or independent debt counselling advice. We can also see if you are eligible for the reduced tariff scheme, WaterSure or the WaterCare Tariff.

If you need independent advice on paying bills or if you would like someone to talk to us on your behalf, we are working in partnership with StepChange Debt Charity - please follow the link below for more information about StepChange.


How we can help

Payment plan

We can set up a payment plan especially for you. You can cover your bill and clear any arrears in manageable instalments.

WaterSure capped tariff

We may be able to offer you a fixed tariff that is lower than the normal amount for your usage through the WaterSure scheme. This assisted tariff is available if you have a water meter, claim certain income-related benefits and either:

  • Have three children under the age of 19 living at home, or
  • Use a lot of water due to a medical condition

All about WaterSure
WaterSure application form

WaterCare Tariff

You may qualify for a social tariff to help reduce your bill if you are on a very low income, to qualify you need to be:

  1. You are on a water meter (or on assessed charges where a meter cannot be fitted) 
  2. The person who pays the water bill or someone in your household receives one or more of the following means tested benefits:
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit (guaranteed element) 
    • Universal Credit (housing element)
  3. Your 'equivalised' weekly income, after housing costs, is less than £295

All about the WaterCare Tariff
WaterCare application form

Water Direct scheme

This can help if you have difficulty budgeting or if you’re in arrears and you’re claiming certain means-tested benefits. Money is deducted directly from your benefits to pay your water bill. The relevant benefits are:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance

Please contact your Jobcentre Plus for more information.

Other organisations

We can recommend bodies that give advice and can talk to us on your behalf, such as your local Citizens Advice Bureau, Hope House, Age UK and Christians Against Poverty. If you have problems with debt, we can recommend an independent debt charity which gives free, impartial counselling and can visit you at home if you prefer.

Get a meter

If you don’t use much water and you do not have a meter, you might reduce your bills by getting one. We usually provide and install meters free of charge.  See the section on water meters

Is your bill higher than expected?

We do understand what a shock it can be to receive a high metered bill. But please don’t worry  – we’re here to help. The most important thing is to let us know right away by calling 01202 590059.

We can help you work out why your bill has increased and help sort out any payment problems. There are other ways we can help if high usage is caused by certain leaks.

Find out why your bill may be high

If our meter reading shows that your water use has risen significantly, we’ll let you know before we send you the bill and try to help.

If you don’t pay

We never cut off the supply to household customers for non-payment. But if you don’t pay your bill or contact us to work out a payment plan, you could be charged interest, plus legal and court costs, and your credit rating could be affected.

Please get in touch as soon as soon you think you may have a problem paying. Call 01202 590059.

The process of recovering the amount owed to us would start with sending reminder notices, phoning you or visiting you. In some cases, we use a debt recovery agent. As a last resort, we could take you to court.

If we do have to take court action you will be charged interest, legal and court costs. And if you don’t pay after a claim has been issued, we may issue a County Court Judgment against you.

This is why it’s so important for you to contact us on 01202 590059 as soon as you realise that you may not be able to pay.

Our code of practice on debt recovery

Local organisations that can help

We work in partnership with a variety of local organisations to ensure specialist help and third party advice are available.

Below is a list of organisations along with a description of the services they offer.

Poole Housing Partnership: Housing association covering Poole which offers tenancy support services.

Citizens Advice Bureau: Offers free impartial advice out of local centres in Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and East Dorset.

Bournemouth Churches Housing Association: Housing association based in Bournemouth that offers a wide range of support and learning services.

Sovereign Housing Association: Housing association which operates a tenancy support service.

Hope House / Faithworks Wessex: Offers impartial debt advice, as well as other support services.



Press Office

Journalists can contact the Press Office on 01392 443020 or via email


Should you get a water meter?

Water meters have important benefits for you, for us and for the environment as you can have more control over your water use and leaks are easier to detect.  

Find out more

Ask us a question...