Bournemouth Water Logo

Bournemouth Water News

Cold weather advice from Bournemouth Water

15/03/2018 15:05:00
Customer Services Director Jo
Ecroyd said: “During very cold weather, frozen pipes and the subsequent thaw
can be a problem across both customers’ own pipe-work and across the mains

“Customers can help themselves and us by identifying whether the problem is
inside their house or not. If the leak or burst is on their own pipes, the best
thing to do is to call a plumber. However if you and your neighbours are out of
water or losing pressure, that could be a sign of a burst or leaking mains pipe
and we need to hear about it to start helping you.

“We would also ask customers to check that their garden taps are turned off and
not using water.”

If you need to report a burst main or leaking pipe outside your home, please
call Bournemouth Water on 01202 590059. If you have leaking water or frozen and
burst pipes inside your property please call a local plumber.

In the event of a leak, we advise checking our service announcements webpage:
and our social media accounts for the latest updates. Affected customers on our
database will also receive a text.

What to do if you discover a problem: 

you don't have any water check with neighbours. If they still have water,
your pipes may be frozen
pipes for signs of a split - a leak or burst will not occur until the
water has thawed
off the supply using the internal stop tap
the central heating and any other water heating appliances are already on,
keep on. However, if they are currently turned off do not be tempted to
switch them on to thaw frozen pipes as this could cause damage.
the cold water system only by flushing the toilet and opening cold
taps over sinks and baths
you don't find any damage, turn on all the taps and thaw the frozen pipe
using a warm towel or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel
the pipes have thawed and you're sure no damage or leak has occurred, turn
off the taps and slowly switch the supply back using the internal stop tap
the pipes again now that they are under pressure and check again for signs
of damage or a leak before switching on water heating appliances

If you discover a leak or burst pipe, call a
reputable plumber immediately. Bournemouth Water supports approved contractor
schemes and a list of approved contractors can be found on the WaterSafe
or by calling 0333 207 9030.

There is more cold weather advice on the Bournemouth Water website:


Press Office

Journalists can contact the Press Office on 01392 443020 or via email


Should you get a water meter?

Water meters have important benefits for you, for us and for the environment as you can have more control over your water use and leaks are easier to detect.  

Find out more

Ask us a question...