Bournemouth Water allows Developers to self lay water mains and services
As an alternative to having new mains and service connections installed by us, developers can arrange for the work to be carried out by qualified contractors.
A National Code of Practice is now available. This Code of Practice is for when a Developer appoints an independent Self-Lay Provider (known as a SLP) to undertake the contestable work of designing and/or installing water mains and services on a new development site. It details the delivery processes, requirements for the work and specifies the role of SLPs and Water Companies. Additionally you can find guidance from Ofwat on Self Lay here.
The work must be carried out by a company that is accredited with the Water Industry Registration Scheme (WIRS) which is administered by Lloyds Register.
As an alternative to having new mains and service connections installed by a Self Lay Organisation, developers can arrange for the work to be carried out by us.
Should you wish to contact us or make a complaint, please click here.
Flowchart and charges
Design Practices Guidance
To assist with the installation of water mains and services, Water UK and the Homebuilders Federation (HBF) have agreed best practice principles for the design of on-site water mains constructed specifically for the purpose of new water connections to new build premises. Please click here for more information and search for ‘Water mains – best practice design principles’.
Self Lay Application Guidance Notes
You can apply for a self lay provision using our Self Lay Application Form.
Please complete all sections and provide the information requested so that your application can be processed as quickly and accurately as possible.
Schedule of Permissible Materials and Construction Arrangements
[links to all docs]
- Clean Water Construction Techniques
- Conditions under which trenchwork may be carried out
- As Built Requirements for Self Lay
- FM-QSC-0004 - Request for New Main Sample(s)
- FM-QSC-0005 – New Mains Disinfection Log
- QSC-002 - Preparation and Disposal of Chlorine Solutions
- QSC-004 - New Mains Disinfection and Clearance
- QSC-050 - Quick Test for Packaged ChlorosQDS-GN-001 Guidance on Disinfection and Sampling of New Mains for SLP
Test, chlorination (disinfection) and sample
- FM-QSC-0003 - New Connections on Site Test Log Sheet
- QSC-005 - New Connections Clearance
- QSC-011 - On-site Determination of Chlorine
- QSC-012 - On-Site Determination of Ammonia
- QSC-016 - On-Site Determination of Appearance
- QSC-026 - On-site Determination of Ammonia and Chlorine (Check Kit Method)
- Chlorination and sampling of service pipes guidance (Chlorination guidance) - Please note the above documents are currently under review. Please continue to use these documents until further notice.
Risk Assessment Form for Water Pipes in Land Potentially Affected by Contamination