Bournemouth Water Logo

We are not aware of any problems on our network.  To report an incident, please contact us on 01202 590059.

01202 590059.”  

Water supply problems

No water or low pressure

If you have little or no running water, it could be caused by:

  • A problem with your internal plumbing
  • Planned work we are carrying out
  • An emergency, such as a burst main

Click here to see if there's planned work or an emergency in your area.  If the interruption to your supply was planned, we'll have given you notice.

If we're not working in your area, check a tap near your internal stopcock, where the water supply enters your premises. If the flow is normal, there's a problem with your internal plumbing and you need to contact a plumber.

If the flow from this tap is affected, check that the inside stopcock is fully open. If it is, find out whether nearby buildings have the same problem.

If nearby buildings are without water and there's no information about incidents in your area on our website, it could mean we're not yet aware of any problems. You can let us know by calling us on 01202 590059 (calls are monitored 24 hours a day).

If neighbouring buildings have water, the problem is on your property and you'll need to find a plumber.

Unusual appearance, taste or smell

Your water should be clear and free from substances which cause discolouration. If your water looks cloudy, a haze of tiny bubbles is the most likely cause. This will clear if you let the water stand for a few minutes.

You might notice some discolouration after work has been carried out on or near your supply or after a burst main. We'll ask you to run cold water to clear it.

Most water quality problems are caused by internal plumbing. However, if we're at fault, you may be entitled to a modest compensation payment.

For full details, please see our Non-household wholesale service standards schedule and call your retailer to make a claim.

Serious problems

Although it's a very rare occurrence, we need to be prepared for a major water quality incident. If this happens, we'll deliver a ‘do not use’, ‘do not drink’ or ‘boil water’ notice to your premises. We'll deal with the problem as soon as possible and let you know when the supply is back to normal.


In the street

If you've seen a leak in the street, please call our Freephone Leakline 08005 878 979.

Inside or outside on your premises

All the pipework on your premises, whether inside or outside, is your responsibility. If you need to find a plumber, please visit WaterSafe. We can offer some help with leaks on the underground supply pipe that runs from your property boundary to your internal stopcock. For more information, please contact your retailer on the number shown on your bill.

Find a plumber

When you're looking for a plumbing business, we recommend you select one which is a member of an Approved Contractors’ Scheme, such as WaterSafe or the Water Industry Approved Plumbers’ Scheme (WIAPS).

 Using an approved contractor will give you the following benefits:

  • Approved contractors are fully qualified to carry out plumbing work in homes and business premises. They have specific training in Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws, which enables them to ensure there should be no risk from poor installation or sub-standard materials that could cause contamination of your drinking water supply.
  • They will issue a ‘work completed’ certificate for their work, which provides a defense for property owners who are challenged by a water supplier enforcing the Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws.
  • For most types of plumbing work, plumbers have a legal duty to notify the water supplier before they start work and this can lead to delays. Approved contractors can carry out some work without the need to  provide advanced notification to the water supplier.
  • Approved businesses hold public and employers’ liability insurance. There is an independent complaints procedure in place to resolve any technical disputes about how the work has been carried out, should a concern arise.
  • Approved businesses will be required to put their work right if  it does not meet the requirements of the Water Fittings Regulations or Byelaws, enforced by the water supplier.
  • Approved businesses are audited to check they are complying with the rules of their Approved Contractors’ Scheme.

Make a complaint

If you're not satisfied with our service, please contact your retailer on the number shown on your bill.


WaterSafe is an umbrella organisation bringing together thousands of qualified contractors employed by plumbing businesses from the seven existing Approved Contractors’ Schemes across the UK. 
WaterSafe aims to raise plumbing standards by helping customers find the nearest qualified plumbing and heating professionals, through their dedicated online search facility.
To search for a plumbing business near you, follow this link: 


The Water Industry Approved Plumbers’ Scheme (WIAPS) is run by the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS). This is one of the seven existing Approved Contractors’ Schemes in the UK. Not all plumbing businesses registered with WIAPS have signed up to WaterSafe, so WIAPS may have additional qualified plumbers near you.
This website also includes a list of groundworkers who are qualified to undertake work on outside water services only and other specialist workers who work within designated sectors.
Follow the link to search on the WIAPS website: 



Ask us a question...