Close Search

Cold weather advice from Bournemouth Water

24th July 2020

Customer Services Director Jo Ecroyd said: “During very cold weather, frozen pipes and the subsequent thaw can be a problem across both customers’ own pipe-work and across the mains network.

“Customers can help themselves and us by identifying whether the problem is inside their house or not. If the leak or burst is on their own pipes, the best thing to do is to call a plumber. However if you and your neighbours are out of water or losing pressure, that could be a sign of a burst or leaking mains pipe and we need to hear about it to start helping you.

“We would also ask customers to check that their garden taps are turned off and not using water.”

If you need to report a burst main or leaking pipe outside your home, please
call Bournemouth Water on 01202 590059. If you have leaking water or frozen and burst pipes inside your property please call a local plumber.

In the event of a leak, we advise checking our service announcements webpage: http://www.bournemouthwater.co.uk/service-announcements/
and our social media accounts for the latest updates. Affected customers on our database will also receive a text.

What to do if you discover a problem:

If you don't have any water check with neighbours. If they still have water,
your pipes may be frozen
Check pipes for signs of a split - a leak or burst will not occur until the
water has thawed
Turn off the supply using the internal stop tap
If the central heating and any other water heating appliances are already on,
keep on. However, if they are currently turned off do not be tempted to
switch them on to thaw frozen pipes as this could cause damage.
Drain the cold water system only by flushing the toilet and opening cold
taps over sinks and baths
If you don't find any damage, turn on all the taps and thaw the frozen pipe
using a warm towel or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel
When the pipes have thawed and you're sure no damage or leak has occurred, turn off the taps and slowly switch the supply back using the internal stop tap
Check the pipes again now that they are under pressure and check again for signs of damage or a leak before switching on water heating appliances

If you discover a leak or burst pipe, call a reputable plumber immediately. Bournemouth Water supports approved contractor schemes and a list of approved contractors can be found on the WaterSafe website www.watersafe.org.uk or by calling 0333 207 9030.

For further information please contact: