The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations set requirements for the design, installation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fittings and appliances that use water. They also prevent the waste, misuse, undue consumption, contamination and erroneous measurement of water.
These regulations apply in all types of premises to:
- plumbing systems, water fittings and appliances that are or will be connected to the water supply,
- underground pipework, including the service pipe connecting premises to our water main
For more information on these regulations, see Water Quality – Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations on page 7 of our New Connections Information Book.
Please call our Water Regulations Department on 01202 597114 for guidance or advice.
Our Water Regulations Department grants consent for new connections. They must receive these items from you:
- Regulation 5 Notification completed and signed – this is part of the New Connections Application Form and will automatically be passed to them
- a schematic diagram of the hot and cold pipework layouts (example below)
- a schedule of the water fittings and materials to be installed
- an assessment of site conditions in relation to contamination
Our Water Regulations Department will write to you once they have received this information. They will either grant consent or let you know if anything does not meet the requirements.
Example of schematic diagram of the hot and cold pipework layouts
Like most water suppliers in Britain, we support WaterSafe.
Plumbers registered with the scheme will:
- have demonstrated their experience of plumbing work and knowledge of the regulations
- certify that any installation or maintenance work satisfies the regulations
- be legally responsible for any breaches of the regulations in the certified work (rather than the owner or occupier)
- have liability insurance cover
In addition, approved contractors can carry out certain categories of work before giving notification, provided they certify that the work complies with the regulations
on completion. Find approved plumbers in your area